Bring Your Options for fertility Options
When should a fertility check be done? How does the medical consultation and clinical examination take place? What tests are planned to identify the causes of infertility in men and women? The answers are here.
When to do an infertility assessment?
An infertility assessment becomes justified when a couple is unable to conceive a child after 12 months of regular intercourse (two or three times a week) at favorable times, in the absence of contraception. This is when exams are offered to identify the possible causes of this infertility.
However, the time to be observed before consulting may be shortened depending on the age of the woman or if there is a known or suspected disease of the reproductive system in men or women. In this case, a medical check-up is prescribed without waiting this period of 1 year (often after 6 months of unsuccessful attempts). Catch more info about this and the solutions as well.
How does the infertility consultation go?
The Medical Examination
It is essential for the doctor who has to deal with infertility to meet the two members of the couple from the start.
The medical interrogation , which will represent an important moment of the first consultation, will indeed detail the medical past of the man and the woman, but also approach their sexual life and their motivations because it is not rare to find , from this first stage, the explanation for the absence of pregnancy.For this, the doctor searches for the existence of factors favoring female or male infertility:
- The medical and surgical history that can have an impact on fertility (history of genital infections, pelvic surgery, etc.).
- The existence of a current chronic disease (diabetes).
- The existence of a genetic disease or a difficulty in conceiving a child with close relatives.
- The way of life: work (exposure to toxic compounds on reproduction, such as organic solvents, exposure to heat, pesticides), the environment (toxic products near places of life), smoking , addictions (drugs, cannabis, heroin and alcohol).
- Sexual life: date of cessation of contraception and sexual practices (frequency and regularity of intercourse, libido disorders).
- Then, the doctor proceeds to the clinical examination of the two members of the couple .
The Clinical Examination
The examination of the woman is a usual gynecological assessment . It includes among others:
- Weight measurement.
- A vaginal touch.
- A pap smear .
- A hair examination.
- Palpation of the breasts.
- A speculum exam.
Human clinical examination is essential and consists of noting:
- The morphotype.
- Examination of the bursa to palpate the testicles , vas deferens and look for a varicocele.
Infertility assessment: examinations in women
In general, after a clinical examination, the doctor first prescribes the couple the simplest examinations. He can, if necessary, envisage a more complete assessment.
Among the most common exams in women are:
The temperature curve : the temperature rises a few degrees after ovulation. The temperature curve therefore provides information on the date of ovulation and, more generally, on the functioning of the ovaries.